Small Spaces Filled With Big Dreams
It’s possible to create a decorative nursery nook in your own room!
Three years ago, we were lucky enough to have an entire room in our last home to set up to create an amazing little gender-neutral nursery for Aria.
This time, we only had the ability to utilize the space in our current bedroom to create a functional and decorative nursery which initially was frustrating and seemed impossible!
It’s amazing what some re-organization of room furniture did for us to open up usable space to insert the basics that we’d need for the first six months.
To prep for the baby furniture, we moved our gigantic (and heavy) bed to the far left of our room, and slid the dresser with the TV over as well. We measured the space that we had left which was three feet for the changing table and about 3 feet for the bassinet on the opposite side of the bedroom door, close to my side of the bed for nighttime nursing.
We decided that we would only purchase what we needed in the room immediately. Unfortunately, we had sold everything except the Doona stroller/carseat and Rock-A-Roo swing from when Aria was a newborn.
We were definitely baby ballin’ on a budget so we were wise about all of the items we chose for the room. We looked for masculine and durable items to create a modern nursery nook in our small space. Here’s what we bought:
- Changing table from Facebook Marketplace. I’m obviously a huge fan of DIY things so I bought two cans of flat black paint ($10.00) and painted it black. I finished it with a coat of matte coating and wiped it down thoroughly once it dried completely for 2 days.
- Three sets of stainless steel baskets in a grey color from Amazon. The baskets came in two different sizes, so the smaller baskets with the diapers, burp cloths, and accessories are on the first shelf and the bigger ones with clothes in newborn and 0-3 month sizing are at the bottom.
- Wipeable changing pad from Bumbo in grey. Little boys are known to be the ultimate pee-ers while you’re changing them so cloth covers were out of the question.
- Accordion Wall Rack in Grey from Amazon. Clearly, this buy was more for decoration, but I wanted to have a place where we could hang hats and cute little jackets. I stand by the idea that this was $20.00 well spent.
- Skip Hop night soother for music and illuminating projections. The projector is amazing for soothing baby to sleep after night feedings.
- Extra long wall tapestry from Wayfair. We had a hole in the drywall from when our nephew was the room’s occupant which was a total eyesore. I also felt like this piece gave me so much inspiration for incorporating texture.
- Oasis Bassinet from Baby Planet in the color Graphite from Amazon. You always need a sturdy crib or bassinet. I originally was looking for a Moses basket but ultimately decided we needed something more modern looking!
- Snuggle-Me-Organic lounger in the standard size. We chose the color Moss because of the dreamy green tone. We also bought back up covers just in case of an unexpected accident.
- Modern Black Gem Mobile from Pottery Barn. I wanted something clean and modern with no gaudy colors or animals on it to stimulate baby.
- Oval-shaped rug from Target. We needed something that tied together the colors from the Tapestry and the changing table.
You really don’t need all the decorative items if you are really only purchasing the necessities for your room. I find that adding little touches of decor makes you appreciate your space so much more!
What were your nursery must-haves? Feel free to share with me what your life-saving purchases were!