Here's what you'll need:
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2/3 cup of coconut milk for marinade
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes
Mix this up first, scoop out 1/4 cup into another bowl and place the chicken in this marinade.
1 lb organic chicken breasts (cut diagonally into the breast for thin pieces)
2 handfuls of green beans (cut and washed)
6 oz (7-8) sliced mushrooms
1 red pepper (sliced thinly)
2 thumb size pieces of ginger (peeled and cut into match sized slices)
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1 red or purple onion (cut into fine pieces)
2 cloves of garlic (minced or pressed)
1 oz. of fresh basil leaves (thinly chopped)
3 tablespoons of pureed ginger (bought in tube from grocery store)
3 stalks of chopped scallion (green onion)
4 oz. roasted cashews (optional but loses flavor)
1-2 handfuls of washed bean sprouts (optional)
cooked white rice for serving
Here we go!
1. Pre-heat a large sauce pan to hot, if you have a wok- that's even better! Throw the sesame oil in first, once that's hot, add the red onion, pressed garlic, and matchbox ginger strips into the pan. Toss that around.
2. Add the marinaded sliced chicken into the pan and cook thoroughly, turn the burner down to medium-high. Toss throughly with the minced garlic/onion sesame oil mixture. Add in the red pepper and mushrooms. Add the rest of the marinade mixture. (If you like your beans softer, add them in now with the peppers/mushrooms, if not keep reading)
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in about 1/4 cup of the coconut milk 'water' into the pan. Add in the pureed ginger into the pan and let it all cook up together for 3-4 minutes. Add in the green beans and bean sprouts.
4. Add in any last minute seasonings to taste- (brown sugar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, salt or pepper) Turn the burner down to medium and simmer everything together.
5. Grab a plate, scoop a serving of the white rice. Scoop all that goodness overtop. Be generous and use a spoon to add more sauce. Garnish with basil, green onion slices, and finely chopped roasted cashews. SOSO good!